About BTES PTA
Our Vision: Every child’s potential is a reality.
Our Mission: To make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children
The Virginia Congress of Parents and Teachers, better known as the Virginia PTA is a volunteer child advocacy association working for ALL children and youth in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Virginia PTA is the strongest group of volunteers in the state working exclusively on behalf of children and youth. Chartered by the National PTA in 1921, the primary goal of the Virginia PTA is to strengthen our family units, our schools and our communities through parent/family involvement. PTA recognizes parents as the first educators in the home and works to promote parents as partners in the school.
The Virginia PTA is geographically divided into twenty-one districts in six regions in over 1095 local units with an annual membership well over 335,355. Managed by an all volunteer Board of Managers elected by the membership, the VA PTA / PTSA is one of the largest Congresses of the 54 Congresses in the National PTA
As one of fifty-four Congresses, the Virginia PTA is an integral part of the National PTA, serving as the liaison between the local unit and the National PTA, helping each to function effectively and to support and sustain the other.
Buffalo Trail PTA
This local unit of PTA was formed when the school was founded at the start of 2010 school year. The local unit of PTA aligns its mission and goal helping ALL students realize their fullest potential by offering all students the best opportunities to enrich their academic experience, while helping promote the parent-student-teacher interaction and enrich with as many possible avenues. The PTA also runs programs and activities in-school and after-school to help students, parents and teachers to come together as a community and create a cohesive fabric that is rich with diversity, unity and most of undying affection to make a life impact in the lives of our students.
Who Can Join?
Membership is open to anyone who believes in the National PTA Mission and Purpose. The PTA is committed to being inclusive in its efforts to represent and assist all who nurture and educate children. Every person who joins a local PTA automatically becomes a member of both the state and national PTA. Each of the more than 335,355 members in 1095 local units of the Virginia PTA, has an opportunity to help direct and formulate PTA efforts and direction.
While subject to the National PTA bylaws and policies, the Virginia PTA is self-governing - a separate and independent entity as established by state bylaws. Likewise, the PTA at the local level is self-governing, linked to one another through the state and National PTA forming a nationwide network of adults working for all children and youth.
As an example, a key object of parental involvement for the Virginia PTA and the National PTA is advocacy. Advocacy efforts improve laws, policies, and conditions on behalf of children, whether in your community or at the state and federal levels. Each year, the state and national PTA develop respective Legislative Programs addressing issues affecting children's education and programs in the current general assembly/congressional session and are the priority of state and federal legislative advocacy at the current time.
National and State PTA
Proposed Legislation Program (PLP) for 2012
PTA is a national advocacy group and you get to influence the direction of this national group. Attached herewith is the Proposed Legislation Program (PLP) for 2012. As parent guardian, we the PTA unit at Buffalo Trail ES ask each and every PTA member to carefully review the contents of the PLP. It is the right of every Virginia PTA member to have access to the PLP and to vote on its contents. The PTA will request an electronic vote shortly to get your inputs.
Our core tenets:
- We will work in partnership with a wide array of individuals and organizations to broaden and enhance our ability to serve and advocate for all children and families.
- We are dedicated to children’s educational success, health, and well-being through strong family and community engagement, while remaining accountable to the principles upon which our association was founded.
- We acknowledge the potential of everyone without regard, including but not limited t age, culture, economic status, educational background, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, legal status, marital status, mental ability, national origin, organizational position, parental status, physical ability, political philosophy, race, religion, sexual orientation, and work experience.
- We value the individual contributions of members, employees, volunteers, and partners as we work collaboratively to achieve our association’s goals.
- All members, employees, volunteers, and partners have a shared responsibility to align their efforts toward the achievement of our association’s strategic initiatives.
What is the PTA and what does this Association do for Buffalo Trail Elementary School?
Our Parent Teacher Association is a group of Buffalo Trail Parents and Teachers who work together to promote the welfare of our children; at home, school and in the community.
Why Join PTA?
- Enjoy the Benefits ~ The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more advantages. Here are just a few:Virginia Benefits ~ Are you aware of the many great benefits that you get for just being a member? Did you know that you can save 10% at Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg? Were you aware that you can get a 14% discount on your T-Mobile bill? Check out the National PTA Member Benefits webpage for details about these and much more!
- Get Connected ~ There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources ~ The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network ~ Parenting is not easy—it helps to share ideas, concerns and experiences with other parents and educators in the community. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind.
- Watch Yourself Grow ~ By volunteering with your PTA, you gain valuable experiences. It’s an opportunity to put your skills and hobbies to good use for a good cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up ~ Because the PTA is a forum for exchanging ideas, you are encouraged to make suggestions. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement ~ By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events—all vital to a school’s success.
- Be a Role Model ~ By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.